Laos's Festivals and events
The Laotians celebrate a lot of events. The majority of their events are related to the Buddhist festivities and agricultural bonanza. Processions accompanied by music and dancing go along with a variety display of fireworks on the roads can be witnessed during the festivals.
The events of Laos are as follows:
* February: Vietnamese Tet and Chinese New Year.
* Magha Puja also known as Makkha Bu Saa or full moon: This celebrates the speech of Buddha to enlightened monks. Chanting and offerings mark this festival.
* March: Boun Khoun Khao, a local harvest festival.
* April: Pi Mai, lunar year, when houses are cleaned and people put on new dresses and wash Buddha images. Other than fruit and flower offerings, the main attraction includes elephant processions.
* May: Vishakha Puja celebrates the birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha.
* June -July: Khao Phansaa
* August: Haw Khao Padap Din, a festival where living pay respect to the dead.
* September: Boun Phansaa, faithful people pay homage to the temples.
* October: Bun Nam, water festival. Boat races are commonly held. Decorated rafts and boats wade through the water.
* December: Lao National day, celebrate the victory of Proletariate over Monarchy.
Source: Laos National Tourism Administration
A member of Vietnam Travel Promotion Group (VTP Group)
Address: Room 509, 15T2 Building, 18 Tam Trinh Str., Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi, Vietnam (See map)
Tel: +84.24.62768855 / Fax: +84.24.62768866 / mail[at]tuanlinhtravel.com